Educators have an ever-increasing stream of data at their fingertips. But how to use this data to improve teaching and learning — how to make it less overwhelming, more useful, and part of an effective collaborative process — can be challenging. The Data Wise Project at the Harvard Graduate School of Education works with educators around the world to develop resources that support collaborative improvement of teaching and learning.
There are three ways for your team to participate in the Data Wise Leadership Institute: on-campus in January, on-campus in June, or by virtual onsite as your team meets together at a location of your choosing in July.
Data Wise Leadership Institute
During this intensive week you will learn a step-by-step process for using wide range of data sources — from standardized tests to student work to observation of teaching practice — to improve instruction and student outcomes. This program supports your team in planning a thoughtful launch of the Data Wise Improvement Process in your setting. An intensive experience, it will allow your team to get energized about the work of improvement by interacting with the Data Wise teaching team and peers from diverse settings who are committed to learning how to lead collaborative inquiry
Who Should Attend
• School-based teams of 4 or more people comprised of a principal and two or more teachers plus other educators in leadership roles. Online and on-campus.
• System-level teams comprised of central office staff members responsible for supporting schools in using data to improve teaching and learning (for example, data coaches, directors of curriculum and instruction). On-campus only.
• System-level teams comprised of senior leadership committed to adopting a system-wide approach to improvement. In this case, the system-level team would attend with multiple school-based teams. This allows the system team to understand their role in the process and the school teams to serve as example sites from which other schools can learn. On-campus only.
Data Wise in Action Program
- Online: August 13 – December 21, 2018
For teams that have completed the on-campus or online Data Wise Leadership Institute, this online program provides you with job-embedded support and feedback as you use the Data Wise Improvement Process in your own setting. This four-month program is designed to support your team in working your way through the 8 steps of the Data Wise Improvement Process. Your team will be assigned your own dedicated coach who will provide substantive feedback and encouragement as you enact the plans you developed in the Data Wise Leadership Institute.
Who Should Attend
School-based teams of 4 or more people comprised of a principal, two or more teachers, and one or more other educators in leadership roles. 2017 Data Wise Leadership Institute participants will receive reduced tuition for Data Wise in Action.
Data Wise Coach Certification Program
- Online and On-Campus: June 1, 2018 - December 1, 2019 AND On-Campus, June 18-22, 2018
This program supports experienced Data Wise users in learning how to guide others through the Data Wise Improvement Process. The Data Wise Coach Certification Program prepares people to successfully lead teams of educators in integrating the Data Wise Improvement Process into their daily work.
Who Should Attend
- Individuals who have participated in a Data Wise Leadership Institute
- Individuals who have two or more years of experience working in K-12 schools or higher education institutions, facilitating groups, and analyzing multiple forms of data.
- Individuals who want to deepen their ability to teach others about the Data Wise Improvement Process and support teams in going through the steps.
- Individuals who are committed to becoming part of a community of learners and want to deliberately cultivate habits of mind for using time and data wisely.
Learn more at https://www.gse.harvard.edu/ppe/data-wise-portfolio.